Keeping up with your child’s medical records is important for all parents, especially for those whose children suffer from a chronic illness or are frequently unwell. In the past, keeping up with a child’s medical history could be a complicated task. These days, however, tech-savvy parents have the power to access and review a child’s medical history at the tips of their fingers, stored in their iPhone. These ten apps, available in Apple’s famed App Store, make quick work of sorting and retrieving your child’s medical records.
- Child Medical History – Priced at $3.99 in the App Store, Child Medical History allows you to manage information relating to your child’s medical history, including blood type, vaccination history, allergies and diagnostic test results. Infectious disease information, medication and developmental data is also available through the app, making it quite useful for parents on the go.
- Capzule PHR – This app, available for $9.99, allows users to manage extensive medical histories for every member of the family. Import and export support allows you to modify information at your computer or on your phone, and secure iCloud backs up this valuable information so that it’s never lost. In the interest of patient privacy, the app is password protected as well.
- LogFrog DB – Parents of young diabetics know that keeping track of blood glucose, insulin and medication and carb intake can be difficult, especially for particularly active children. LogFrog DB, $2.99, claims to be “a leap in diabetes management,” offering a reminder option for tests and injections as well as data management.
- Autism Track – Keeping up with the behavior and symptoms of a child on the autism spectrum can be a challenge, but is an essential part of therapy. While Autism Track carries a steep $39.99 price tag, it allows parents to manage and record every aspect of their child’s journey, to access those records later and to graph changes over time for review with the child’s therapists.
- My Medical – Emergency contact and health insurance information, along with contacts for your doctors and appointment tracking are all features that My Medical, $2.99, offers in addition to its powerful medical history management functions. If your child is on several medications or is frequently under medical care, the app also features an auto-completion option so that you don’t have to remember the exact spelling of a medication or term.
- Medical Records – The name says it all for this free app, which manages medical records, logs current medications and allows for journaling of symptoms. Immunization records and test results can also be stored, allowing you to access that information instantly, rather than fumbling for it or trying to remember at a crucial time.
- Medical e-Folder – Medical histories, information on chronic conditions, allergies and prescription dosage information are just scratching the surface of this $1.99 app’s functionality. This app is especially useful for parents whose child is seeing more than one physician, as the records that they have may not always be shared.
- MotherKnows – MotherKnows is a service that tracks immunizations, provides alerts for upcoming vaccines, supplies growth charts, generates a printable emergency health card for your child or childcare provider to carry and tracks allergy information. Complete records and charts, with notes from every pediatrician’s appointment, are also managed with the service. The iPhone app comes with the subscription to their web-based service, and prices vary depending on the chosen plan.
- Family Medical History – Transfer your child’s medical information easily between your iPhone, desktop device and other Apple mobile devices for easy access anytime with Da Pont’s $3.99 Family Medical History.
- Total Baby – The Holy Grail of infant iPhone apps, the wildly popular Total Baby manages your baby’s milestones, vaccinations, monitors growth and tracks immunization schedules. The immensely powerful app also allows for diaper and feeding tracking, and has been named a Staff Favorite by Apple.
These apps make managing the medical information and history of a child simple and painless, a vast improvement over relying on hard copies that could be lost or damaged. With the swipe of a finger, you can manage every aspect of your child’s medical care, ensuring that he gets the treatment that he needs, when he needs it.