At some point, it will be time for your nanny to leave your family and move on to another position or other pursuits. When this time arrives, it would be quite appropriate to give her a parting gift that demonstrates your appreciation to her contribution to your children’s lives and your family, as a whole.
- Photo book – Custom made photo books are easy to create and order online or through iphoto on a Mac computer. Pictures of the kids and particularly pictures of her with the kids can be included. The books can be personalized further with beautiful covers and subtitles for the photos. This provides a great memento for a nanny’s time with your children.
- Kids on video – Creating video of the kids and their expressions of love to their nanny is an easy gift to make and then save on a DVD for her to take with her. She’ll appreciate being able to re-live their fun smiles and lively faces in the days ahead.
- Scrapbook – A scrapbook containing simple mementos from her time with your family would be a wonderful gift to provide in parting. Scrapbooks can contain things besides photos that will remind her of your special times together.
- Professional portraits – Having professional portraits taken of her with your children would be a great goodbye gift for her and a wonderful memento for your children of this person who has invested in their lives.
- Kid crafts – Involving the kids in creating goodbye gifts with their own hands is another way to send your nanny off with memories that she can see and touch. They are bound to be treasured by her for many years, just because of who made them.
- Spa Package – A day at the spa for a massage, facial, pedicure and manicure would be a wonderful treat for your nanny. It could be something she is scheduled for before she leaves or that she can take advantage of in her next destination.
- Cash bonus – Cash may seem a bit impersonal to some people, but it something that is always appreciated, especially when someone is in a transition period that may entail extra expenses.
- Air fare – It is very common for families to pay for the one-way ticket to their nannies destination upon her leaving their employment. Tickets can be expensive, and your nanny will appreciate the kind gesture.
- Retail gift cards – Since you’ve had some time to get to know your nanny, you should be able to pick out gift cards for some of her favorite retail shops to include in her going-away card. Coffee shop gift cards are always a good addition too.
- Letter of recommendation – Although this may not fit into the ‘gift’ category, it is something that your nanny would be very happy to take with her, and could be more valuable than some of the other items on this list. If you have been happy with her service, it should definitely be included, along with her other goodbye gifts.
Any one of these, or a combination of them, would be well received by any nanny who is leaving a home of service for the last time. An invitation to come back and visit in the future is another gesture that would generally be very well received, as well.