Volunteering as a family not only helps to make a real difference in the world around you, but also teaches your children a sense of civic responsibility, compassion and a desire to help others. Figuring out the best family-friendly volunteer activities, however, can be a bit overwhelming if you’re just starting out in the socially-conscious realm of volunteering. These thirty blogs are filled with valuable information and ideas for volunteering as a family, on a local and global scale.
Most kids have a natural affection for animals, which can make easing into the world of volunteering a bit easier due to their enthusiasm. While some of the programs discussed in these blogs are specific to certain areas of the country, there are similar programs in almost every region which makes them still relevant as sources of ideas.
- Getting Kids Involved in Volunteering to Help Shelter Pets
- Ideas: Take Care Of The Animals
- Family Volunteer Program
- Volunteering as a Family at The Woodstock Animal Sanctuary
- How To: Volunteer at a Local Animal Shelter
Domestic Travel Volunteering
Instead of a traditional family vacation, many American families are now opting to spend their vacation volunteering in other areas of the nation. These blogs offer a variety of domestic-travel volunteer ideas, allowing your family to see the country while making a difference in the lives of other Americans.
- Top 10 Family Volunteer Vacays
- Family Volunteer Vacations
- How Should I Begin: Family Vacations
- Taking the Kids on a Volunteer Vacation
- You Don’t Have to Go Far to Do Good
International Family Volunteering
An entire industry has sprung up around the concept of “voluntourism,” in which socially-minded people travel to distant locales in order to help the people of those areas to improve their living conditions. If your family is interested in both volunteering and international travel, these five blogs are great places to get started.
- Looking for Voluntourism Trips?
- Family Volunteer Vacations
- Taking the Kids: Family Voluntourism
- Voluntourism with Kids
- Voluntourism for the Whole Family
Senior Center Volunteering
Working with the elderly not only helps senior citizens to spend their golden years more happily, but also your children to understand the importance of caring for their elders. These five blogs are filled with information about senior-centered volunteering for kids and families.
- Working With Seniors
- Volunteering With the Elderly: How Your Child Could Benefit From This Experience
- How To Help: Elderly
- Helping The Elderly: My Volunteer Experiences
- You Can Help Seniors!
Explaining the Importance of Volunteering to Kids
Encouraging your children to volunteer is more effective if they understand the reasons why helping others is important. These five blog entries are based around the premise of helping kids understand why they should volunteer their efforts to enrich the lives of others, and can provide valuable talking points for family discussions on the subject.
- Volunteering: Why Should I Do It?
- My Top 5 Reasons Why Your Children Should Volunteer
- Volunteer as a Family
- 6 Reasons Why Your Family Should Volunteer
- 5 Reasons You Should Volunteer with Your Children
Volunteering within your community helps to make a difference your children can see and perceive on a continuing basis, giving them a sense of fulfillment that often encourages them to continue their efforts. These five blogs discuss volunteering on the community level, and provide ideas to help kids and families get involved in helping their neighbors.